Pages

6.17.2013

Baseball in 2 years: The new golden age

So lately, and when I say lately I mean in the past two months, I have spoke to many people on the topic of sports.  And while I can honestly say there are some really bright people out there, probably far brighter than I, I have to make one thing known - You're wrong about Baseball.


Most of the people I've spoke to have professed that Baseball is boring, or that, "I can play it, but I won't watch it.".  Some even go as far as to say, "It's a dying sport.".  I have to humbly, but wholeheartedly disagree with you all.  Yes, fair point that the game can go on for a long time, and maybe there are some prime time sections of a Baseball game that are the most exciting or mean the most, but nonetheless you are wrong.  The game is certainly not dying, and here's why:

Look at the latest talent coming in the last 3 years: Bryce Harper, Yasiel Puig, Stephen Strasburg and Mike Trout.  These are the future faces of Baseball and boy are they exciting.  I haven't been more riveted watching a sports game, than I have watching Yasiel Puig drive not one, but two balls out of the park AND... as if he couldn't be more awesome, catch a ball at the warning track and throw a guy out at first base for a double play and to end the game.  All this within his first two appearances as a Major League player.  That's like an NBA player coming out and dropping 40 and snagging a double-double in his first game.  It's seriously astonishing, and that's not even everything there is to talk about when it comes to this next generation of ball players.

(YaYa goes yardo)
If you're going to talk about up and coming pitchers it's going to be Stephen Strasburg.  The dude is only 24 and you can make the argument that he's nearly "there" already.  Yes, he's had some rough patches over the last 2 seasons with his surgery and all, but last year he made a remarkable come back.  I'm still upset that the Nationals deactivated him come playoff time.  This year he's been on the DL a little bit, but nonetheless SS is a wonder to behold on the bump.

I guess what this really comes down to is this: Don't underestimate what the MLB could be in the next couple seasons.  I equate this phase of the game to the rebuilding of a sports team.  They get this influx of young talent, and even though they're not going for championships right off the bat, after about 2-3 years they figure it out and boom they're one of the best teams to watch and they're playing for championships.  After all, aren't these sports leagues competing in another game altogether?  Vying for prime-time supremacy in the broadcasting world?

So what do you think sports fanatics?  Am I completely off target here, or is there something coming... something that will clean the cobwebs off of our beloved past time and put it back into it's lime light?  I wanna hear it all, you know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment